Maximum Simulation Rate

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Which max. simulation rate should FlyNET allow ?

x1
40%
x2
No votes
x4
30%
x8
10%
x16
20%

Total votes: 10

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Maximum Simulation Rate

Post by Konny » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:21 pm

FlyNET currently allows a simulation rate up to x4, but I'ld would like to set to x1. That would make statistics easier to realize and the competition between airlines a bit fairer.

But if it comes out that there are enough people who want to shorten their flights sometimes, I'll respect that.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

ceo_devonairva

Post by ceo_devonairva » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:25 am

I think you should maybe have 2 tiers.

Flights of 4 hours or less, x4 is fine
Flights over 4 hours, i'd prefer atleast x8

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:42 pm

Agree with the above suggestion, yet i'd say more of 2x for <4 hours and 4x for >4. I mean, our VA pilots have lives, yet if they're on a VA it should be more professional...

HyperionAirways

Post by HyperionAirways » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:12 pm

My thought has always been that if the pilot is going to benefit from the hours and hours and hours an airline staff has put into creating the airline (for free, I might add), then the least they could do is fly at 1x. I've always created short flights, so that even in the most hectic month, a pilot can fly a 30 minute hop to satisfy his monthly obligation.

ricchio

Post by ricchio » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:54 am

Okay. I'm glad that this was brought up. Ricchio Int'l is a LONGHAUL airline, so 4x kills me since I don't always have that much time. All of our flights are 10+ hours. If some kind of system could be worked out so the client knows how much to allow because 8x or 16x for the smaller VA does make it too easy.

Ciao,
Aaron

recce

Post by recce » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:14 am

There is actually more here than meets the eye. I operate on the basis that most of (90%) of all of our flights entered into flynet the flight is also done on Vatsim. This leads to an interesting issue. Time compression is only allowed at discretion of the controller online. Therefore, you may not be able to compress that 10 hour flight because of a flyin half way along the route. Maybe there could be a way of checking to see if a pilot is flying over a multiplayer network or if it's with the default atc system? If it's done "offline" then the time compression could be 8x (save you on those ten hours) but when "online" it's got to be 1x - 4x for sure. I beleive the maximum that VATSIM will allow is upto 4x. don't quote me on that though because I really can't remember. just some food for thought.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:20 pm

Hm, I wouldn't make it depending on the system you fly with. In my opinion the overall flight duration is a good basis. There are two possibilites I currently have in mind. Firstly, FlyNET calculates the approximate flight time and then sets a highest simulation rate, e.g. 1x for < 1 hours, 2x for < 2 hours, ...
Problem is, that then some times would overlap. If you fly 2:00 hours estimated, you can reach your destination faster than someone else who flies 1:30 estimated.
That leads to my second idea. We could make it that you have to fly the first 30 minutes with '1x', then you can switch to '2x' , after another 30 minutes you can switch to '4x' and so on...
The time the system builds on would be the FS time. So the second 30 minutes would actually only need 15 minutes.

Just a little example:

After 30 minutes you switch to '2x', then after 15 minutes to '4x' ( => 45 minutes for 60 minutes FS ) after another 7 minutes you switch to '8x' ( => 52 minutes for 90 minutes FS ), for the next 30 FS-minutes you would ned only 3,75 minutes ( => 56 minutes for 2 hours FS ) and finally you can switch to '16x' ( => 58 minutes for 2.5 hours FS )

For a 10 hours flight this would mean: 56 minutes for the first 2 hours + 30 minutes for the remaining 8 hours = 86 minutes

HyperionAirways

Post by HyperionAirways » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:19 pm

There seem to be a wide number of opinions on this subject. It's to be expected, this is one of the most debated topics in the sim-community.

Would it be too much work to create a way to have the airline mandate the sim-rate?

The way I see it, the more customization an airline is able to offer, the more we'll be different from each other, which is never a bad thing!

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:37 pm

No, it wouldn't be much work letting the airlines set the sim-rate. If they had to set it for each flight, it would be the easiest thing I could imagine ;-)

I for my part like the idea....

recce

Post by recce » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:50 am

Actually I like that idea as well! That's one of the best suggestions anyone has made. It helps both the long haul carriers and the short ones. Those that fly alot on vatsim can also set it so they are legal to vatsim standards.