Why Not Abandon Beta and Get on With Alpha?

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Why Not Abandon Beta and Get on With Alpha?

Post by Myrm » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:48 pm

Hi FlyNET admin.

I'm sitting here at work (night shift) and it's quiet out there and nobody to arrest, so I have had time to think:

Instead of wasting time working on the security-lacking beta version of the Client, why not concentrate on the Alpha FS Airlines version? This seems an ideal opportunity to bin the beta, activate the alpha and migrate all the data from the current site to the FSAirlines site. It just seems to me that you are wasting valuble time that could be put to good use elsewhere, namely the new site/alpha client. I remember the last time there was a big problem with the beta Client whilst Konny was away, and we had to wait months for it to be up and running again :cry:

So, is my suggestion a good one? I realise that there may be a few things to iron out in the alpha version, but since when has that stopped software makers releasing their product into the market?

I guess I probably do not have much of an understanding in this matter :D but it would be nice to read your comments.

Thanks.
Myrm

"Glöm inte vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Why Not Abandon Beta and Get on With Alpha?

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:24 am

The issue here is that Joe and Claudio are on vacation and will be until next week. Because of that, we can't push into FSAirlines. As well, since FSAirlines is still in ALPHA (a very unstable state), we do not feel it to be wise to migrate the entire system over before it's really ready to support the load we'll put on it when it does go live. If you look at the FSAirlines Alpha forum, you'll note that several people with VISTA are having problems with the newest version (1.6a) and so that will have to be resolved before it's deployed as this seems to be a recurring issue.

We will move forward when we're ready, but we're just not quite there yet.

Finally, the "security leak" isn't really a major one in the scheme of things. It was only a problem because someone with an inferiority complex decided that they needed to show their "superiority" over us by "exploiting" it even though we weren't doing anyone any harm or causing any problems.

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:31 am

Understood.

Many thanks for the repy and explanation.

Let's hope the beta Client is back up and running before my next set of days off (Monday & Tuesday 1st/2nd Sep :lol: )
Myrm

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:03 am

what about just sending over the current info from flynet, so that we could just use it as a bridge? like just getting the FSairlines updated to current, and then do it again when its merging over. like when the site first came online. or is there no one that is here that could do that?
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:10 am

The security issue is in the client itself and how it accesses the FlyNET database on the server. We either have to re-write the client to access the database differently or everyone can just be patient and let us get the final bugs worked out of FSAirlines. It will be sometime next week either way since Joe and Claudio are on semi-vacation (it's already been pointed out more than once that they're out of town people). If they re-write the FlyNET client, it takes away time from finishing FSAirlines, so the choice is yours.

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:25 am

CAPFlyer.

We are simply asking, that is all. Some of us are making suggestions in a bid to try to help; there is no need for your arrogant attitude. Thank you. :evil:
Myrm

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:03 am

Mrym, I was not speaking of your replies, I was speaking to Tyler's. As we've already said more than once in other threads, including the one at the top of every forum - the problem is in the client. No matter what is done, if it uses the FlyNET client, it will have the issue.

Please guys, be patient. I can't stress it enough. Joe, Claudio, Konrad, and Fatih know what they're doing. Pressuring them and inundating them with "ideas" which don't have the whole story doesn't help fix it, only clutter the issue.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:30 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:Mrym, I was not speaking of your replies, I was speaking to Tyler's. As we've already said more than once in other threads, including the one at the top of every forum - the problem is in the client. No matter what is done, if it uses the FlyNET client, it will have the issue.

Please guys, be patient. I can't stress it enough. Joe, Claudio, Konrad, and Fatih know what they're doing. Pressuring them and inundating them with "ideas" which don't have the whole story doesn't help fix it, only clutter the issue.
i never once mentioned the client, i was asking if it was possible to get info from flynet over to fsairlines just to have an up to date airline over there. like what was gonna be done when it migrated over, and it would be done again when it gets migrated over...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

DaKurt
FSAirlines Developer

Post by DaKurt » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Hey people,

we put quite a lot of time in developing the new client in the last weeks and are now not far away from a beta FSAirlines client release. It should even be even more stable than the current flynet client but there might be some bugs that are only found when a lot of people use/test it. We might switch to the new site soon, once me and joe are back from holidays and fix the last problems...

thank's for your support
dakurt
Claudio - FSAirlines Programming