Moving To The New Site

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Moving To The New Site

Post by Myrm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi

For sometime now we have been told of the upcoming new Client and migration to the new site (FSAirlines). Can I ask; why is it taking so long to move everything across to the new site? I note the site is up and running, is it not a case of just moving everything across onto the new server? If so, why hasn't it been done yet? Why wasn't it done when the forum was moved across? I guess there is a lot more to it than simply changing servers? Just curious to know. Thanks. :(
Myrm

"Glöm inte vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Moving To The New Site

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:41 pm

We are changing the client and servers both. As the new Client still has a few things to be worked out before we release it publically, we are delaying the move of full operations to allow a "clean" move once we have a stable FSAirlines client.

The new client is totally re-written from the current FlyNET client, so that is also slowing development some as we have to upgrade some of the server-side systems to handle the things we're going to do with FSAirlines. Rest assured though, you will like the new client a lot. If you want to test it out, feel free to download the Alpha (1.6a is current I believe) and make a few flights. These flights will have no bearing on the current database and will be wiped out when we move everything over and import whatever the current database is here to there.

Also, if you choose to download the Alpha, please read the "Known Bugs and Problems" thread in the FSAirlines Alpha forum section first to understand some of the things that aren't currently working and some of the changes that have been made.

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Re: Moving To The New Site

Post by Myrm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:02 pm

Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
Myrm

"Glöm inte vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)