Turbelence

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Halal
Ticket Agent

Turbelence

Post by Halal » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Evening all...

Should heavy turbelence, ie CB's trigger the "speed exeed 250kt below 10000ft" cost me twice, in the same area with thunderstorm, nota bene, the A/P speed was set to 230kt due to turbelence...and rice shortly over 250kt???
Why do I have to pay for (5%) if ,I in heavy weather at night prefer to land without landinglight???

O yes I do like Your FlyNet site very much, even more if You concider to skip the peneltys :-)

Lasse

AdmiralRolfe
Captain

Re: Turbelence

Post by AdmiralRolfe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:37 am

Actually in the real world, you can't just "prefer" to land without the landing lights, you have to otherwise you're in trouble. The whole reason penalties are added is so FlyNET is "very slightly" more realistic. Be happy it's not penalizing people on other things like strobes, beacon, nav, anti collision, seatbelt and no smoking lights, noise abatement, and a whole lot of other things to watch out for in the real life. As for turbulence, I guess it can get annoying. But 230 knots is pretty fast for an approach speed, so you could've slowed the aircraft down a bit.
ImageImage

Halal
Ticket Agent

Post by Halal » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Hello John...

Thank's for Your replay, red and tryed to understand and learn,
but I do not agree, what You are saying about tha light and speed,
I have thought for hole my flying life,that it was and are up to the captain,
as long as You don't work against any roles, company or authority....

Airborne 1964...

Lars-Gunnar

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:49 pm

nope, its a federal law... well aviation law... even in daytime they land with them on... now its up to the captain when to turn them off, but under 10k they are suppose to have them on. in some countries the height at which they should be on is higher...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Halal
Ticket Agent

Post by Halal » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:02 am

God Morning all...

Yes we have (I had) the landinglights on, allways below 10000ft, but in heavy wether, mist, rain, fog etc. on
short final I turned the landinglights off to get a better chance to see the approachlight and awoyed a G/A.
Remember to tell tower, You are landing without lights...

Nowdays, flying FlyNET I keep all lights on and I never use an alternet aeordrom ;-)

Lars-Gunnar
Retired

AdmiralRolfe
Captain

Post by AdmiralRolfe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Well you could do an ILS approach... Or just peak from your GPS and fly straight in. I can't even see my landing lights during landing lol until the very end when I'm only like 100 feet above the runway.
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 pm

There are some issues that have to be allowed for with FS versus the real world.

Real world - Landing lights (by law) are only required to be installed and a minimum of them working for flight for hire. Company policy dictates when they are on or off and use of other lights, although failure to follow company policy can certainly result in your dismissal (firing). In the real world, the landing lights being on (and the strobes too) during times of low visibility at night are a major hinderance to being able to see out the front and preserving night vision, so there are times that it's better to turn them off.

FlyNET - Landing lights just have to be on in the air below 1000 feet AGL (i.e. they don't have to be on while taxiing) and off above 10,000 feet MSL. As the light flare doesn't affect visibility in FS9 or FSX (which I still don't like that they took that out as it was cool to have), it's not a major deal.

As for the speed, since in the real world breaking the 250 knot limit without permission can cause some serious reprecussions, we put it in. It's a minor ding if you get hit, and it only takes a couple of flights to clear it out.

Don't worry too much about them. They only get to be a problem for you as a pilot if you start getting a lot of them for a while and you drag your overall rating down to a point where you are "undesirable" as a pilot and affect your passenger loads as people get afraid of flying with you. :)