Aerodromes of Argentina

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

swd227
Ticket Agent

Aerodromes of Argentina

Post by swd227 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:48 am

Hi, i want to charge some aerodromes of argentina but i do not know if it is possible because they do not habe the ICAO code only have the three letters not four. Is there any possibility to make them to be charged to the sistem anyway?
Carlos Montenegro
http://www.patvirtual.com.ar/
Carlos Montenegro
Ceo - Transporte Aéreo Patagónico Virtual

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Aerodromes of Argentina

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed May 14, 2008 5:48 am

The 3 letter identifiers are their IATA codes. These are included in the database already.

What kind of changes are you talking about? If it's code changes, then be careful because the ICAO code in FlyNET and the ICAO code used in FS2004 must match. If they don't, most pilots will have no idea where the airport is.

swd227
Ticket Agent

Post by swd227 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:56 am

For example: Choele choel does not have ICAO code it only has IATA (OEL) and my aim is to know if i can send it to you so that you can add it to the database. In affirmative case please tell me which is the correct way to charge it?.

PS: I do not want to CHANGE anything. Flight simulator is a mess in argentina, lot of airports have an invented ICAO in airports that do not have ICAO code in real life, only have IATA. I want to know how do I have to send it to you so that you understand what i an sending to you in the "form" to "Add Airports".

Carlos Montenegro
Carlos Montenegro

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu May 15, 2008 7:20 am

This may cause some problem with FlyNET as the ICAO is the primary form of identification of the airport. I will let one of the programmers let you know if it will be a major issue or not.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu May 15, 2008 3:55 pm

The ICAO code is the primary identifier of an airport in the system, every airport in our database must have a unique ICAO code. Now I am not sure what we have done in the past for airports that don't have a code but we need to have one.

As far as I know all commercial airports have an icao but don't always have an iata. I checked one of my favorite sources of airport information and it looks like Choele choel does have an ICAO code (SA29). For more check out

http://www.the-airport-guide.com/search ... =Argentina
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

swd227
Ticket Agent

Post by swd227 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Here in Argentina there is a book that lists all the AD comercial and not comercial ones too. But the big deal is that flight simulator has some problems with some ICAO codes. It seems that is needed a four characters CODE to make the search engine work correctly so they made these strange codes as ICAO but they are not, as far as I know, ICAO codes are only leters (SAZN, SAWE) not numbers. But it is my opinion, I really do not have certain information about that. The book is for free in these web page: http://www.cra.gov.ar/dta/ais/documentos.php
Is is called MADHEL "Manual of aerodromes and heliports" it includes all the aerodromes and their actual location, there are just few AD´s that have non actualized RWYs but I can confirm that at least the 99,9% of the information which is in this book is correct. All the ADs are correctly stored in alphabetical order and with all the information needed to be used in FS and Real life. I hope you find it usefull. I use it always and is the best
Carlos Montenegro
PS: excuse my english, i have been trying to make my best, but some words are out of my head dictionary... jejejej.
Carlos Montenegro

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri May 16, 2008 10:37 pm

ICAO has never been exclusively Letters nor does the document that governs ICAO identifier assignments require that they be all letters. The only time it "must" be all letters is if it is served by regularly scheduled commercial operations. Otherwise, the ICAO has provisions for public airports which have Instrument Approach Procedures to use a 4-digit indentifier that has both letters and numbers to leave sufficient 4-letter combinations for the commercial airports, especially since most areas (Canada, Russia, the US, and China are the exceptions) have only 2-letters available for the airport with the first letter being the region code and second being the country code which limits the number of 4-letter combinations to 576. Many countries have more than that many airports which they wish to have IAPs for.