Landing Light

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flyboy1111

Landing Light

Post by flyboy1111 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:27 am

Being a professional pilot and not having 100% rating on here kinda hurts my ego haha. How come the client docks you 5% off your rating when you turn your landing light off below 10,000 feet? Flying a 182, i fly below 10,000 feet. I tried leaving it on all the time, and i get docked for that too? No win situation.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:50 pm

Well, this program was originally created to simluate IFR flights only. And I have been told that on this kind of flights, you have to switch on your landing light when you enter the runway until you reach FL100 and the other way around. Maybe you're right and we should differ between IFR and VFR.
Another problem could be that the "landing light off below FL100" message also shows up when you don't turn the lights off above FL100 ( +/- 1000 ft tolerance ). Maybe you forgot that ? The system as I've just described should work, though there certainly could be some bugs.

Edit:
I just took a look at your flight reports, and they look very strange. The first flight has a flight time of 13 hours with a total of 1kg fuel used ;-) Did you just take off from the runway and immediately touch down again, switching the time forward 13 hours in the FS menu ? Or was that a bug ?
And in your second flight you had more fuel on your arrival than you had on when you departed. Thought this would be impossible with the current version :( How did you do that ? ;-)
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:47 am

I feel that you should either create a script for GA aircraft that you need a landing light on below 1000ft or for all aircraft, the light should be on below 2000ft!

recce

Post by recce » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:12 pm

Technically this is a regional issue. In Canada the regulations is below ten thousand on a commercial flight where passengers ARE carried at night or at all other times it is the pilot's discretion. This means in Canada the C182 might be out for a night flight with nav and strobes on but not the landing light until final. At some airfields that use ARCAL (Aircraft Remote Controlled Aerodrome Lighting) the pilot may use the landing light to signal his intentions.

Therefore is it not logical that there should be a regional option about this? Or a way to better control when the penalties are applied for lighting? In FSPax I always had to have the lighting penalties off so that I wasn't losing all my points because of the waqy my countries airlaws work. Just a thought

Danny Sevigny 879664

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:25 pm

Yes, I also heard that it depends on the airline, the airport, etc. when you have to switch your landing lights on. But all in all you have to switch them on on final quite everywhere, so I think I'll set the minimum height where you can switch them off to 1000ft AGL and the maximum height to FL110.

recce

Post by recce » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:44 pm

will this be a function of the next client release? when will it be available?

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:35 pm

yes, I'll change the landing lights handling in the next release, but I don't know when it will be released. Maybe tomorrow.