an airline i now hate!!! PS. except for their paint schemes

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

an airline i now hate!!! PS. except for their paint schemes

Post by flightsimer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:04 am

US Airways...

and sorry if you work for them but this is true.

What is good about them? Nothing now since the merger with American West

little bit of history...

US Airways traces its history to All American Aviation Company, a company founded by du Pont family brothers Richard C. du Pont and Alexis Felix du Pont, Jr.. Hubbed in Pittsburgh, the airline served the Ohio River valley in 1939. In 1949, the company was renamed All American Airways as it switched from airmail to passenger service. The company was again renamed, to Allegheny Airlines, in 1952.
Allegheny expanded progressively, introducing the Douglas DC-9 in 1966 and absorbing Lake Central Airlines in 1968 and Mohawk Airlines in 1972 to become one of the largest carriers in the northeastern United States.
But with expansion came growing pains: by the 1970s Allegheny Airlines had earned the nickname "Agony Air" due to customer dissatisfaction with the carrier's service.
In 1996, USAir closed its relationship with British Airways and announced its re-branding as US Airways
In August 2004, US Airways attempted to build a Latin American gateway at Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood, announcing service to 10 cities in Latin America and the Caribbean. The attempt was largely unsuccessful and short-lived, in part due to Fort Lauderdale’s proximity to American Airlines’ hub at Miami International Airport, with access to an extensive Latin American network. In an attempt to stem further financial losses, in November 2004 US Airways officially de-hubbed Pittsburgh International Airport, and began a process of de-emphasizing its hub-and-spoke system to capitalize on direct flights between major eastern airports such as Washington-Reagan, New York-LaGuardia, and Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood. This emphasis on more direct flights has been undertaken by many airlines of late, as an attempt to capitalize on the highest-profit routes, and is modeled after Southwest Airlines' system, one which most U.S. airlines used until the mid-1980s.

Now that you have some history... this is why i now hate them.

1 )THEY are EXPENSIVE!!!! a flight from KPIT to KJFK which should be under a 300 nm flight STARTS out at 600+ dollars, up to 1020 dollars, and even more coming back from JFK

2 )They HAVE DESTROYED MY AREA’s ECONOMY!!!! They de-hubbed kpit, and now use KCLT which they have a lot of money into. its been reported that the have taken well over jobs away from the area if not more. Us air transports 40% of the flyers out of kpit. TODAY they just announced they were cutting even more flight out of kpit. KPIt actually will be closing down 27 gates completely next year because of Us Air moving out. its also reported that the Airport will loose over 5 million dollars next year because of them. I believe US AIR use to have 2 whole concourses at the airport, at least 27 of what they now have will be closed next year

Luckily we have southwest and jet blue starting to come into the airport and fill in where US AIR has left. Luckily we have southwest which is now really starting to take off here, they just added 20+ flight more from what they i had i think a month ago, and say they will get up to 90+ flights a day from kpit in the future.

3 ) US AIRWAYS has flown out of PIT since 1949... I want to know why all the sudden they decide to leave. There is absolutely no reason to leave that airport. ITS BEAUTIFUL!!!

Now this is from wikipedia, and i know it can be edited by anyone, but this is all accurate...

Pittsburgh International Airport occupies more than 12,900 acres (45 km²), making it the fourth largest airport in the nation. It is so large that both Chicago's O'Hare and Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson could comfortably fit within the airport's land area.

PIT has been frequently recognized for its quality in meeting travelers' needs. The OAG Worldwide listed the facility to its short list of the world's best airports for four consecutive years. The market research leader, JD Power and Associates named PIT among the top five airports in its two most recent customer satisfaction surveys. Conde Nast Traveler's Magazine named PIT among the best in the United States and in the world in its People's Choice Award.

This shows how much US AIR operated out of KPIT

Concourse A
Gate A5 (Southwest), April 2007Concourse A has 25 gates: A1 - A25
Southwest Airlines - Gates A1, A3, & A5 (Baltimore/Washington, Chicago-Midway, Las Vegas, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Tampa)
US Airways - Gates A2, A4, A6-A25
Concourse B

Beginning of Concourse B, April 2007
Gate C54 (Air Tran), April 2007Concourse B has 25 gates: B26 - B50

US Airways - Gates B26-B50 (

Concourse C has 11 gates: C51 - C61

All international arrivals, except for Canadian cities with U.S. border clearance, pass through Concourse C as customs and immigration is located on the lower level of the concourse. Concourse C is also the smallest concourse with only 11 gates.
i deleted the airlines on concourse c to save on room

[edit] Concourse D
Concourse D has 14 gates: D76 - D89
Concourse D was all non- USAir flights so i deleted them to save on room

Concourse E

Demolished arm of the E gates Concourse E had 22 gates: E1 - E22

Concourse E was a passenger terminal area connected to the airport's landside building and was formerly used for quick access to US Airways Express commuter aircraft. Following cuts in service by US Airways, all Concourse E gates have been closed to air traffic. A portion of the concourse has been demolished to make way for a new baggage sorting facility for US Airways and Southwest Airlines, while the remaining portion of the concourse is used as an alternative security checkpoint. This additional checkpoint helps alleviate long lines at the airport's main airside checkpoint during peak travel times

a whole concourse has already been closed, now their are closing even more!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh ... oncourse_A
u can look at more info about the airport at the provided link above.

4 ) A Consumer Reports survey of 23,000 readers released in June 2007 ranked US Airways as the worst airline for customer satisfaction. The survey was conducted before the airline's March 2007 service disruptions. A follow up survey with a smaller sample size conducted in April 2007 found US Airways remained in last place, with its score dropping an additional 10 points.[9]

US Airways ranked last out of 20 domestic airlines for system wide on-time performance in March, April and May of 2007 according to the US Department of Transportation figures.[10][11][12]

5 ) this shows how much our area actually lost

As of September 2007, US Airways continued to downgrade Pittsburgh International Airport's status from 500 flights a day (with 11,000 employees) in 2001 to just 111 flights a day (with only 2,745 employees). CEO Doug Parker stated its frustration with PIT being an unprofitable airport and more cuts may be on the way. This represents a further deterioration of a strained relationship with Allegheny County with which it has important historical ties.[15] US Airways Group Inc. said October 3,2007 it would cut mainline flights from Pittsburgh International Airport to 22 a day from 31 and reduce regional flights to 46 a day from 77, starting January 6.[16]

some info most people don’t know about kpit:
1. kpit has been the "first" airport with certain systems, and thing like that.
2. is half military and cargo
3. has 4 maybe 5 de icing pads, making it one of airports with the least weather related delays.
4 NOW THIS IS A BIGGY this is the largest, most-fatal crashed in the history of the airport, BUT has saved many thousands of lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_427
the above link tells about US air flight 427 a Boeing 737-300 that crashed approaching the airport, killing everyone on board. if you read it u will realize why that crash was so important, and how it changed the aviation world in the design of aircraft.

I actually wish they would just leave and let the airlines that actually will stay come in.

If you don’t agree with me, sorry but this is how i feel, since i have seen the devastation that has happened because of them leaving.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:31 pm

I have hated them since aquired the actual PSA and shut them down.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:00 am

all the cutting in kpit has all happened because of the merger with American west. American isnt being run by US air, Us Air is being run by them...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways