Altitude Alerter gauge

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Stan
Chief Pilot

Altitude Alerter gauge

Post by Stan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:50 pm

I was looking on Avsim to see if i could find a gauge to tell me to turn my landing lights on/off at a certain pre defined altitude when i found the following gauge "a_alert.zip".This gauge gives a flashing display and a verbal alert "bong bong bong check altitude" when passing a preset altitude both ascendind and descending.Wow ,i thought ,if i can change the verbals to say "bong bong bong check landing lights" this would be ideal for avoiding the dreaded lights DING.
I sent the author of the gauge (Glenn Copeland) an Email asking if this would be possible.He replied that he was too busy in the RW at the moment to do it himself but,he included some very detailed instructions on how i could do it myself.Up to this point i hadn,t tried the gauge and when i did i was gutted to find the verbal warning part of the gauge was not working.It is probably me who has installed it incorectly but if anyone would like to d/l the gauge from Avsim to see if it works for them ,and then tell me how they have done it i would be very pleased.Might even pay you $1,000,000 virtual.I could then make a start on altering the verbal alert.Just posting this on the off chance that somebody might be suffering FS burnout and would like to try something different for a change.
Yours Stan

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:20 am

lol very nice idea!

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:44 am

Two heads are better than one.
Yours Stan

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:54 am

yep

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:01 am

Stan wrote:Two heads are better than one.
well in MIIB they arent... :lol: :lol: :lol:
if you have seen it, remember the guy with toheads, but he (they) still owuld always say the wronge thing to the evil lady (cant remember her name, something wierd)
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:37 am

After two days of playing around with this gauge i have finally got it working.So i guess i saved myself $1,000,000 virtual.
Yours Stan

hectorp
Ticket Agent

Post by hectorp » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:32 am

I use this gauge not only for the landing lights but also as a reminder to set the QNH mostly when I fly out of USA.
It is excellent. I may also suggest some of Glenn's gauges that I use as a virtual copilot like the ARM gauge that arms the reversers and spoilers and deploys them after the nose touches the runway. When the speed is about 60, it automatically desactivate both. There are two versions: ARM_1 for twin engines and ARM_4 for three and four engines.
Another great gauge is the 4th Hand which raises or lower the gear. You can choose the settings.
For helping in getting at the right altitude at a point you can also use the Descentometer and to land in those runways without ILS you can use the SALS.
Those are great gauges, easy to install and understand and help tremendously specially when flying complex airplanes into a busy area.
Regards,
Hector