Something that can actually handle FS X!

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Something that can actually handle FS X!

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:42 pm

While many had suspected the release of a new edition of Dell's XPS gaming line, few knew quite how far Dell was willing to take things. With considerable flourish, Dell himself unveiled the XPS 600 Renegade, a limited edition gaming PC boasting not just a gnarly looking paintjob, but the be-all-end all of PC gaming: 4 Nvidia 7800 GPUs, running through dual card SLI boards at 16x, as well as a factory-overclocked Intel Extreme Edition 4.26 GHz CPU. By far the most powerful gaming computer yet known to man, Dell cited tech-specs at 1.3 billion transistors within the GPUs and 2 gigabytes of dedicated frame buffer memory, as well as benchmark figures of 41 Gigaflops per second and a total of 5.2 TFLOPs. Suffice to say, the Renegade is a beast of here-to-fore unknown power. The XPS Renegade is so powerful, in fact, that, according to Dell, its performance figures rank each Renegade system as the 70th most powerful super-computer in the world. Through partnerships with Nvidia, the company that partnered with Dell to design the quad-GPU architecture, the four GPUs run unimpeded, able to produce benchmark results between 4 and 5 times that of a single GPU. If such numbers are to be believed, Nvidia and Dell have engineered so elegant a solution that no performance is lost in the communication between GPUs, a rare feat in terms of the history of multi-processor gaming computers. The Renegade also runs to Western Digital 150 GB 10k-rpm HDs in Raid-0, and Dell promises a solid road map for future upgradeability for the specially designed quad graphics cards
In case you missed it: 4 Nvidia 7800 GPUs, running through dual card SLI boards at 16x, as well as a factory-overclocked Intel Extreme Edition 4.26 GHz CPU

If I had the 10k it costs to buy one, I would be calling Dell right now.

tsb

Post by tsb » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:41 pm

£10,000 for a Computer?

Thats insane and I don't know who in their right mind would spend that much money!?

I'd rather spend £10,000 on a less expensive computer and a Mini Cooper or Volkswagen! :wink:

ricchio

Post by ricchio » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:17 am

haha... mini cooper, a wonderful car. The 'S' is fun as hell.

Ciao,
Aaron

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:50 am

10 000 US dollars. I should have realized this is a pretty international undertaking. (Yeah, at 10 000 lbs, thats like, well, a lot in my pitiful colonist read: Canadian, dollars)

oneSky CEO

Post by oneSky CEO » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:27 am

That is amazing. Just a few days ago my jaw dropped at some of Alienware's high end computers running at about $4,500. That's nothing compared to this beast! I bet you could do a long haul with the PMDG 747 in a snowstorm at night with all settings maxed and using nothing but add-on scenery along the way. You'd probably still run at well over 50 FPS.

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:29 am

Wait 2 years and that beast will only be 2000 bucks...

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:14 pm

oneSky CEO wrote:That is amazing. Just a few days ago my jaw dropped at some of Alienware's high end computers running at about $4,500. That's nothing compared to this beast! I bet you could do a long haul with the PMDG 747 in a snowstorm at night with all settings maxed and using nothing but add-on scenery along the way. You'd probably still run at well over 50 FPS.

Well I'd hope so, I mean, if you we're longhauling a 747 at the height at which snowstorms occur (10 000 and below) I might be impressed by your Computer, but a bit worried about your piloting ability ;)

But yeah, i get your point, I can't wait to fly low over traffic on highways! Maybe try a few "Bug Stompers" by bringing down a An-!24 on top of trucks.

tsb

Post by tsb » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 pm

I'd still spend the money on a car! :P

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:40 pm

I just saw the interview with the game developer on gamespot.com, and my oh my, this is getting really really realistic!

Not sure if you need a gamespot account to watch the interview, but according to the developer, the main features that are reworked on fsx are the atmosphere and multiplayer gaming. I wish they'd work on the ATC as well...

tsb

Post by tsb » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:33 pm

I still prefer Online ATC to Offline AI ATC as its much better! :D :shock:

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:48 am

True, I do like a lot more, but the stupid IT techs at my college taking care of the residence internet have blocked the port being used by squawkbox.

:x