Multiplyer Calc

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

davididelia

Multiplyer Calc

Post by davididelia » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:28 am

I am sure this may be just a stupid question, but i can find an answer anywhere:
How is the multiplyer worked out? :roll:

I did a flight yesterday and was rather surprised to note the multiplyer used on that flight is 200. I did a quick spot check on other airlines and note it varies from 500 to 200.

If anyone can enlighten me i would be most greatful

Regards

Keep the skies full

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:35 am

You can set (if you are the ceo) what the Multiplyer is.

If you don't set it, it ranges automatically based upon the networth of your airline. The more you are worth, the lower the setting. You cannot raise your multiplier above this setting (although you can reduce it) The lowest it will go (for the richest airlines) is 200x, although you can manually lower it beyond that point.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:37 am

There are two methods of controlling the multiplier - Automatic or Manual.

In Automatic mode, the multiplier depends on the airline's net worth. The higher the net worth, the lower the multiplier. This is to help new VAs get established and then lower to more "realistic" levels so that you aren't able to by 100 747-400 for every flight you fly.

In Manual mode, the VA's CEO sets the multiplier to the level they want. This way the airlines can grow at the rate they want to and not earn money any faster than they want to and have huge bank accounts.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:38 am

And then you get both Justin and I saying the same thing at nearly the exact same time.... :)

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:53 am

You were a bit clearer, I was too minutes ahead...

What Can I say, we like to help here.

atleiker

Post by atleiker » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:31 am

So is there any advantage to setting the multiplier lower?

Ted

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:52 am

Most defintly mate - we run at 300 and have a pilot budget of 12% and STILL make a profit (just going through 2 Bill plus assets as we speak ) and we dont fly them 12 hour marathons that require sleeping on the job or using time compression or (gasp) some of the "cheats" out there

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

atleiker

Post by atleiker » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:40 pm

I guess what I'm asking is if you drop your multiplier do you get a boost in some other area such as reputation or anything? Is there any reason to drop the multiplier other than making it harder and stoking your ego for being able to do it lower?

Also, I like to fly on 1x sim rate only and my routes are designed around 1 to 2 hour hops. Is there an advantage to keeping 1x sim or is it all the same at the higher sim rates? I ask because if a pilot wants to work for me, but doesn't want to be limited to 1x sim and I go higher I want to know if there is a penalty in some way.

Thanks in advance and I'm enjoying flynet quite a bit. :D

Ted

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:16 pm

Actually having reputation go up when the multiplier goes down is a good idea.

You do get a revenue bonus at 1x, 20% more profit compared to 8x. But there is no penalties that I know of.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:31 am

There is not any advantage to any given multiplier than the amount of money you earn per flight. The Multiplier is calculated on the net of the flight so even if there was no multiplier you would always make a profit if the flight. Having a multiplier on an unprofitable flight will still be unprofitable, just more so. :)

The best way to think of the multiplier is to think in terms of flights flown. If you have a 1000 multiplier, then every flight flown by you or one of your VA's pilots is the same as having that pilot fly the route 1000 times in terms of how much you make or lose on a flight. The lower the multiplier, the less times that the pilot has "flown" that route.

I use a low number not for ego, but because I don't like to see a big amount in my VA's bank account since I don't want to grow the airline very fast. To me it doesn't make any sense to have a 1000 multiplier when I'm not looking to have 100+ aircraft in my fleet nor am I looking to have a lot of large aircraft. So, having a multi-billion dollar bank account doesn't seem logical to me. As such, I started with much less money than everyone else ($5 million instead of $25 million) and with a 100x multiplier. The VA won't be able to afford new airplanes as often, but then I don't want it to, so it fits my style of operations. Others may want to build that big fleet fast and that's their thing, so they can do it.

As for time acceleration - You get a bonus for flying at less than 8x acceleration and that bonus increases the closer to 1x you get for a maximum of a 20% bonus on your pre-multiplier profits, so there is incentive to minimize the use of time acceleration and people making billions of dollars a day by flying close to a hundred flight hours a day. This was implimented after a couple of users did exactly that and it seems to have done its job for the most part.

atleiker

Post by atleiker » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:29 am

Thanks Leif, Joe, and CAP.

I didn't notice an option to start with less than 25m. I wish I had paid more attention because I too would have like to start with 5m instead. I'm not looking for fast growth as much as a realistic experience as is possible. I'm going to go ahead and lower my multiplier (can it go lower than 50?).

This might sound crazy, but is it possible to give some of my money back or give it away in order to start with that 5m mark?

Thanks again for the explanations.

Ted

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:55 am

I got the lower starting cash by asking Konny for what I wanted. I figured for my operation, v$5M was plenty for initial operations and fleet purchases, and I've been correct (actually, I could have gotten away with v$2M and still had money left over, but wanted some cushion so I could purchase my first few C208s fairly quickly once I got operations going).

atleiker

Post by atleiker » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:07 am

Maybe I'll ask Konny for the same thing then.

I know I've kinda threadjacked this topic and I apologize.

BTW I was doing some calculations and if a guy wanted to get close to a 1x multiplier he could pay his pilots approximately 98%. I'm going to do a few flights like this and see if it works out. Of course a purchase of a new airplane and having to fill it with fuel would do major damage so you could drop pay back for that first flight. And any crash or service is going to put a big dent in the budget.

Here's what I think I'll do. Run a 95% pay experiment to the first service I need on my 208. I'm just a one man show and am real careful with my airplane. I'll do a cash statement before and after that service to compare.

Any comments welcome.

Ted