Long Routes

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Wolfar100
Chief Pilot

Long Routes

Post by Wolfar100 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:30 am

I see airlines flying routes that would take over 8 or even 12 hours. How the heck are they doing this in real time?

I do not have that time to sit and fly for hours on end. :shock:
Wolfar

Wolf AirLines CEO
http://members.cox.net/wolfar/index.htm

20 Year US Navy Retired
Former Squadron CO and founder:
1997~2003
JG2, JG26, Strike Masters

Andrew J Watson

Post by Andrew J Watson » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:48 am

Well, you could do what im doing at the moment and watch a few films...... im half way to TNCM from EGPH and then im heading upto KORD.

You also have the option to speed it up and to it maybe half time or 1/4th of the time. I think some airlines might let you do this.
If im right, and please feel free to correct me if im wrong as im new here. If you fly and its NOT real time your forum signature time will change to show maybe the 12hr flight, however your actual time going towards most hours flown will only be 6hrs as thats the time you actually flew..........Thats my understanding of it but dont quote me on it.

I find the best thing to do when flying long hall is watch a few films or surft the net........

Others may have other ideas too.

Andrew

P.s. merry christmas Donald

Archie

Post by Archie » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:13 am

Maybe they use VOR navigation instead of GPS direct?

Andrew J Watson

Post by Andrew J Watson » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:50 am

Flying VOR and flying direct dosnt actually add on a significant amount of time to the flight time at all. The most ive ever seen is about 10min and thats a 4 hour flight.
Tongiht I saw a 30min inc in time when i used FSNav to design my route and thats an 11hr flight im doing at the moment so with that respect flying VOR or direct dosnt add on a significant amount of time.

A

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:02 am

The airline can decide what rate you can fly at and that can be up to 1/16th.

Typically I hand fly at 1x below 10000 feet, my climb and decent on auto pilot are at 4x and the cruise at altitude are at 8x or 16x depending on how long the flight is.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Wolfar100
Chief Pilot

Post by Wolfar100 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:06 pm

Thank you to all that responded. I figured we had to fly at sim rate x1.

I guess that I will come up with some calculations for my Airline on what and when they can use a faster sim rate.
Wolfar

Wolf AirLines CEO

20 Year US Navy Retired
1997~2003

Alky

Post by Alky » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:57 pm

I believe up to 4X you can receive a bonus, beyond that, no.

Wolfar100
Chief Pilot

Post by Wolfar100 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:06 pm

Alky wrote:I believe up to 4X you can receive a bonus, beyond that, no.
Oh you mean the faster you go with the sim the LOWER the bonus? Anything beyond x4 and you get no bonus?
Wolfar

Wolf AirLines CEO

20 Year US Navy Retired
1997~2003

Alky

Post by Alky » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:23 pm

I don't know if there's a difference in 1X, 2X, or 4X, but beyond 4x I don't think there's any bonus available.

Archie

Post by Archie » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:33 pm

Andrew J Watson wrote:Flying VOR and flying direct dosnt actually add on a significant amount of time to the flight time at all. The most ive ever seen is about 10min and thats a 4 hour flight.
Tongiht I saw a 30min inc in time when i used FSNav to design my route and thats an 11hr flight im doing at the moment so with that respect flying VOR or direct dosnt add on a significant amount of time.

A
I was referring to the time compression aspect. With VOR you can't just punch in the autopilot, set 16x time compression, and forget about it. At least I don't see how it can be done.

Andrew J Watson

Post by Andrew J Watson » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:46 pm

[/quote]I was referring to the time compression aspect. With VOR you can't just punch in the autopilot, set 16x time compression, and forget about it. At least I don't see how it can be done.[/quote]

Yup i think if you were doing that it would need to be a direct flight.

A

DanKH
Ticket Agent

Post by DanKH » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:40 pm

No problems in using the AP when flying VOR TO VOR...Depends on your AP. If you use FSNavigator as your "AP" you could select Auto shift radio frequency, same goes for the built in GPS...
Best Rgds
Dan

SJDobby
Ticket Agent

Long routes

Post by SJDobby » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Routes of 12 hours are perfectly feasible, even in real time. Don't forget that once you are in the climb [and not flying with online ATC e.g. Vatsim] your involvement is pretty minor until shortly before the descent - you need to do a couple of step climbs and once in a while check that you haven't had some catastrophe, but I often leave it running overnight or even while I'm at work. Of course in those circumstances you don't want to be plugged into the internet because if you DO crash you don't want the client to report this back to "FlyNet central" (you'll still not get the hours of course, but at least the airline hasn't lost its plane).

Flying on accelerated time, meanwhile, is a thorny issue. Some pilots make wide use of it (sometimes for agreeable reasons such as Life's Other Commitments Getting In The Way), some absolutely hate the idea of it. I prefer to opt for the middle ground of using it in limited amounts, typically on flights over 5 hours and rarely faster than 2x. (Note: the PSS Airbus products go haywire and crash the plane if you try faster than 2x - I think that is because they bypass the MS autopilot and use their own logic).

Don't forget that your airline determines the maximum rate you can fly a particular route at - I'm not sure what happens if you over-step that mark, never tried it, but I guess it will either mean "nullifying" the flight, causing a financial penalty of some sort, or possibly affecting the reputation of the airline - can someone confirm exactly what happens, please?
FSA Director, UK Direct Airways
http://www.planecrazy.me.uk/UKD/

FsNovice

Post by FsNovice » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm

it is impossible to use a faster sim rate than the airline set on the flightplan. flynet will simply reset it if you go over back to the sim rate limit. no consequence on the flight just slower!!!

Safari Air
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Safari Air » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:56 pm

it's also easy to start up FS, get to cruising altitude and then go away from your computer for 2 hours, come back and check up on your flight for ten minutes and then go away and do other things.

Best way is to watch a movie, just like you would in real flight
Thanks
Geoff