Parking Brakes

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

DanKH
Ticket Agent

Parking Brakes

Post by DanKH » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:23 pm

Just a small question.

OK, I have been given clearance, and have started my taxi towards the RWY.

When reaching 5 knts /GS I get the Bong. Everything fine.

Because of the heavy traffic inbound I have to hold at the RWY.

Finally get the clearance to take off.

I roll onto the RWY. lining up and.....

Should I now apply parking brakes while whining up the engines to 80% and then release them for the roll-out?...I haven't tried it yet but I would certainly think I would get a BONG telling me that I have ended my flight at the wrong airport......or what?

The trigger for the client is the 5 kn roll and the Parking Brakes at the end of the flight....what if I hit the brakes before ending my flight?

And what If I land in a wrong airport without hitting the brakes, that would give me the opportunity to take off again .... comments?
Best Rgds
Dan

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:52 pm

Nope, until the client records a takeoff, you can re apply the parking brakes as much as you want.

As to actual procedures, I don't know if its parking brakes or toe brakes that you apply while spooling up the engines.

If you land at the wrong airport and apply the parkingbrakes, you will get bonged, however, if you take off again, proceed to the correct airport,you will not.

DanKH
Ticket Agent

Post by DanKH » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:40 pm

Thx Justin
As to whether you use your toes or the handle I don't know either, but in my manual (which is NOT original) it says Parking so there you go...

As for the rest of your reply, yes that is what I thought. So you have a backdoor if you have landed in the wrong airport. Given of cause that you recognise it.. ;-)
Best Rgds
Dan

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:50 pm

Real world you use your toes and not the parking brake. Most real commercial aircraft parking brakes don't apply enough pressure to the brakes to hold the airplane while doing run-ups, that's why you stand on the brakes when doing it. If you don't have rudder pedals though, parking brakes are fine.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Thanks for the Clarification Cappy, i figured as much.