Jet Stream

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

ttin1man
Ticket Agent

Jet Stream

Post by ttin1man » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:25 am

I presume that the client tracks wind speed during a flight as the same flight doesn't always take the same amount of fuel. Is there any way to track the jet streams to plan a flight to get a tail wind? I would think that RW airlines would take advantage of this.

Just curious

DaKurt
FSAirlines Developer

Post by DaKurt » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:36 am

the client doesn't have anything to do with the actual fuelflow. This is regulated by FS itself. I don't know if such jetstreams exist in FS but they should because they are a very important thing when flying long distances...
Claudio - FSAirlines Programming

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:39 am

The short answer is yes - however if your making a trip from say LAS-SUX-LAS you will have say a 45 knot tail wind component going but....you will conversly have a head wind going back as Im typing this Im half way up the North sea
at FL320 heading toward SUM with a 36 knt tailwind for some odd reason - BUT I know when I turn the corner at KEF and head across greenland to BGR I will probably have an 80 knt headwind so when I load fuel Ill take that factor into consideration
If you dont us ASv6 or other real time weather your not really going to bothered by winds

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC