Friendly Warning

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

BigQ

Friendly Warning

Post by BigQ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:14 pm

This thread is meant as a friendly warning to all of those who have ordered or are debating purchasing FSX.
I got my copy last night due to miscommunication (the shopkeeper had no idea the game had to wait on his shelf, MS is famous for that). Yes, I realize that it is 'illegal", but I am a man of honour and won't leak it on the net.

Here are my system specs:
AMD Sempron 3200+ (1.8GHz) (does anyone here know how to overclock a processor?)
1022Mb RAM
ATi Radeon X1600 graphics card

FSX reactions:

On maxed-out graphics and realism Toronto Pearson Intl at night with the CRJ (no large background programs), 4.5 FPS on the ground doing nothing.
On medium-high settings everywhere, same place and time and plane, 11 FPS on ground doing nothing, 5-6 FPS while flying at low altitude. (this will get you just above-FS2004(ish) graphics)

On a nicer side, if your computer is better than mine, the visuals are effin' NICE. I mean, real-world hangars where they are in real-life. Sorry I just had the chance to test CYYZ so far, but there the terminals are the exact shape and size of the real-world terminals, updated runways, maybe the double of the amount of parking spaces that existed in FS2004. Don't know if they'll use all runways in this version or if there's a realistic ATC separation. I'll look at that tonight.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions about it (how does this airport look like, how does a certain city compare to RW, etc.) I would be happy to test tonight and give you the answers - sorry, can't help with plane models or downloadable scenery. So far my only complaint is about not having that good of a computer, because it's a smokin' good-looking game. 8)

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:57 pm

Did you try flynet with it?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

pete999

Post by pete999 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:21 pm

can u show use some screenshots!

dgor
Flight Attendant

Post by dgor » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi Q,

Even with my reasonably good system specs I get poor performance in the demo :( . Thanks for the heads up though.

I'll probably wait for xmas for this one :)

PS: You may be able to overclock your CPU in the BIOS config at system startup. Be careful though, it's almost certain to void your warranty and some BIOS software will not allow you to overclock (mine dosen't).

Cheers.
Regards,
Dave

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:26 pm

joefremont wrote:Did you try flynet with it?
I'll try that tonight.
pete999 wrote:can u show use some screenshots!
sure, will find something to take in pic, what would you like to see?
dgor wrote:....
Roger. I'll take a look into that. you wouldn't have any specifics as to where to look or work, would you?

dgor
Flight Attendant

Post by dgor » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi Q,

It really depends on the PC manufacturer. At the startup screen (the one at the very start before XP has loaded) there should be a key which will let you access the BIOS. It may also be called system settings or something along those lines. Sorry I can't be more specific :oops:

You can also overclock your graphics card using a program called RivaTuner. Again be careful, it may void your warranty and if you go too far the card will overheat (but you could always buy a good fan for it from someone like Arctic Cooling).

Hope that helps :)
Regards,
Dave

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:22 pm

A few pics.

Real-world weather.

The aircraft selection - there are 4 aircraft missing on that scroll down list!

Las Vegas

London Heathrow

More pics to come, pic request welcome!

Matthew
Captain

Post by Matthew » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi BigQ

If you get a few spare monets, could you post some pics of Alicante airport, and london Gatwick (LEAL) and (EGKK)

i would be really grateful thanks

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:00 am

will do within the next 24 hours! do you prefer top-down pics or side pics?

pete999

Post by pete999 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:40 am

get we get some shots of the aircraft close up and and some good airports with the airport fleet moving!

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:45 pm

pete999 wrote:get we get some shots of the aircraft close up and and some good airports with the airport fleet moving!
I'll try my best, although of course they won't seem to be moving...

Another observation I've made is that the sound of the engines on the spot view changes from in front of the engines, hearing the compressors more, and behind the engines, hearing the expelled gases more. Another plus for the game.

Matthew
Captain

Post by Matthew » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:11 am

BigQ wrote:will do within the next 24 hours! do you prefer top-down pics or side pics?
Thanks BiqQ!!!, i apreciate it.

tall_guy_pete

Post by tall_guy_pete » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:50 am

Im sticking with FS9 till I get (can afford) to get a Duel Core AMD 64 bit with SLI 8)

Don't see the point in wasting money on MS :D when I already have the goods here with FS2004 8)

I personally think your all stupid if you think a single processor and a single graphics card will allow you to fully experience the delights that FSX has to offer :D :lol: 8)

Marc Joy

Post by Marc Joy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 pm

I follow you on this one...
as i tryed the demo version, it seems to me some things apear better, but already with a loss of "speed". Imagine that with all your "real" AI traffic you'we all added from project AI I'm sure... 1 frame rate per second I imagine for myself :lol:

Very slow motion.. so If you have a regular puter, finally you'll reduce a lot of things in a lower level than having FS9 at top...

And all those nice free add ons you have... your preferate plane, prefered airport ? and so on ? lol

I'll also stick to FS9 for a while....

Marc

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:31 pm

Hey Q, I just got an email from my store, they have my copy!

However, I am in Reno right now.

As a preview, could you take a look at CYOW, and CYYC, as well as KRNO for me, ie post pics? Thanks!