When the beta ends...

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

HyperionAirways

When the beta ends...

Post by HyperionAirways » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:50 pm

...and now I've got a slightly revised version of the Green Day song in my head. Nice.

Anyway, just curious. When the beta period is over, and FN goes gold, what's going to happen to anything we accomplished during the beta?

The reason I ask is because I imagine that when you do finally go public, there are going to be a lot more aircraft, features, etc...

Should we all "start over" with clean slates at that time just so everyone is on the same page?

I'm not sure which side of the fence I fall on the idea, I'm just looking for guidance. lol

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:51 pm

That is a good question ;-)
I originally planned to reset the whole system and give the beta-testers a small advantage in terms of money or maybe an aircraft. But I also planned that the Beta would not exceed 6 weeks, which is not possible anymore ;-), and now I see that there are some airlines which already integrated FlyNET completely ( e.g. VirtualCIA ). So I have to think of something new ;-)
Any comments from the airlines ?
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

recce

Post by recce » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:04 pm

Don't forget OAS! We're fully integrated. Mind you we could most likely survive a full reset. In fact it would probably help! lol. Anyways a nice little care package if you reset when you go public would definately be very nice indeed. It would be sort of a thank you and an apology for the lost hard work at the same time.

Mind you from what I can see the end of the BETA is a little ways off.

ricchio

Post by ricchio » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:08 pm

RI is also based around FlyNet.

Ciao,
Aaron

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:16 pm

I don't agree on that. Many of us have spent hours to create some interesting flights schedule based on an interesting fleet. Reseting to zero is a good reason for many including me and my pilots to search for alternatives.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:37 pm

Ok, there's still a lot of time until the beta will be finished ( End of February is the current estimation ), and until that all our airlines will have grown a lot, I guess. I don't want to destroy what they have built up, so resetting the WHOLE system sounds like a bad idea. We need to find a good compromise ( Maybe one aircraft for each pilot ).

HyperionAirways

Post by HyperionAirways » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:09 pm

Yeah I agree that for some it might be an advantage, and others a setback. Is there a way to offer the option?

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:17 pm

Sure, setting airlines back is no problem at all, though I don't really see an advantage in that.
Last edited by Konny on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:14 am

For some airlines and pilots, lots of work was put in flying, so I agree with IonathanAL. Yes, the airlines will have an advantage, but that means that pilots are more likely to join already-existing airlines, as I check the number of airlines total on FN, and many don't even have a mile logged. I know it is early to talk, but what use are airlines that someone started and never worked on?
I know I'd like to start mine, but I'd rather stay and become a major player than the only player of a certain airline... Not resetting and instead telling pilots to join others airlines is - I think - a more interesting idea than having 200 airlines, and 20 with active pilots...

HyperionAirways

Post by HyperionAirways » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Personally, I'd LOVE to rollback, because I'm not launching just yet. (Because it IS still in Beta....)

So I've been having fun exploring the different features, only to find out that some cost me some vMoney...a rollback would be great, especially with aircraft being added!

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:20 am

Well, many options are heard. I think it is time to say what will happen. Personally I have spent endless hours not only flying but also planning my routes, decide what aircrafts to buy etc. I am now hesitating to spent any more hours flying since there is the possibility to lose everything or even part of it. I am sure most people in here want to know. I don't want to force my will but my time is also valuable.

HyperionAirways

Post by HyperionAirways » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:54 pm

Ionathan, I totally see where you're coming from, but you've gotta admit, it's a BETA. Betas are always test modes. This is one thing I've kept in mind in my short time here, because I know it could all go away (either go gold or just disappear if it "fails") at any moment....

Had Konny not let it be known that he was in beta from day one, I could see being hacked off by it, but we all knew, ya know?

Not trying to be difficult, just discussing...

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:07 am

Konny has not made up his mind yet about what he will do. How do you know? Read his last message.

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:19 am

The "Guest" above was me forgetting to logon, it was not a mask.
Let's stop talk about what is right and what is wrong and maybe what is fair. Have a look in the expressed positions in the thread. Those who have added time and gathered money want to remain as it is. Those who for any reason did not do the same want a rollback. It is all a matter of personal advantage. Am I disappointed? Yes I am and No I did not know it would all go away. Most probably it was spoken. Flight simming is one of my hobbies and I spend a lot of time on it. I read some messages and send some others but I don't read them all. There is noone to blame of course and I can accept setting back to zero as it is Konny's site and it will be his decision not mine (mine would be the decision wether to start again or not at all but this is another story) but of course I am disappointed. I see your intention to ease a bad feeling but feeling dissapointed (hacked is a heavy expression) is a personal issue.

ricchio

Post by ricchio » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 am

Well... we'll all just have to see what Konny does.

Ciao,
Aaron