Fuel Price Formula

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Fuel Price Formula

Post by joefremont » Tue May 30, 2006 6:51 pm

I was curious how FlyNet determined what the price of fuel is at each airport? Is there some basis on actual market prices? Does it take into account how much fuel is available or purchased at each airport? Do the prices ever change?

I ask this because I noticed that of the three major airports in the SF Bay area, the price in Oakland is 1.13, San Francisco is 1.39 and San Jose is 1.73. Cheapest fuel in California I have seen so far is at Avalon on Catalina Island (KAVX) off the southern California coast where its 1.05, which I would have thought it would be an expensive place to transport fuel to.

This is not a complaint or suggestion that the current way of doing things is wrong or should change. This is the way things are and I am just trying to understand it better. I have even chosen my hub based on which has the lowest fuel price.

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Wed May 31, 2006 12:35 am

Random, the last time I checked...

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed May 31, 2006 2:29 pm

Currently Joe, there is a range that the fuel price can be, and it's random within that range.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed May 31, 2006 6:35 pm

Thanks for the info, thats sort of what I expected. Given how many airports there are in the database, I am not sure how else you would do it that would not be both overly complicated and require a ton of work.