5010 Challenge - A Strategy game (FSX/P3D based)

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Cat
Chief Pilot

5010 Challenge - A Strategy game (FSX/P3D based)

Post by Cat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:12 am

The 5010 Challenge is something we (Fly Vegas) came up with to give pilots a purpose in their flying. We say it is FSX/P3D based as the other simulator formats do not have the wide variety of aircraft to choose from to meet the needs of this challenge. FS9 would also work if you are using that classic format.

NOTE: This challenge is not suited for those who only like to fly expensive jet airliners. This is more suited to those who enjoy GA / regional flying.

This Challenge is more suited to the "one person VA" who is getting tired of just flying around making hundreds of millions of dollars on high mulitplier settings. It can be used with existing virtual airlines that finance by fleet.

Each pilot has their own fleet and $25 million in cash to start with.

The object of the game is to acquire and fly 50 different FSAirlines types a minimum of 10 hours each in the fewest total flight hours possible without going broke. A perfect score would be 500. This is nearly impossible to achieve as you would have to end the last flight of each airplane at exactly 10.0 total hours flown and do it 50 times in a row. To put it into perspective, it would be equal to bowling 50 strikes in a row! So the lowest total above 500 would be the "score to beat" in your VA.

Rules
1. Must fly at 25x multiplier to be compared to other people doing the same challenge
2. Accelerated time use is OK
3. Cannot use leased aircraft
4. Cannot sell any aircraft once they have been purchased
5. There is no real world time limit, fly as often or as little as desired.
6. You can transfer the aircraft one time only (immediately after purchase). You cannot transfer any aircraft after the first flight has been flown.

Setting Up The 5010 Challenge in An Existing VA
1. Create a new fleet for each pilot wanting to participate in the challenge. NOTE: YOUR VA MUST BE USING FINANCE BY FLEET
2. Transfer $25 million to the new fleet created for the pilot wanting to participate in the 5010 Challenge.
3. VA OPTIONAL: Create a unique rank for the pilot so they can buy/sell/transfer aircraft ONLY in that new fleet.
4. VA OPTIONAL: Make all other ranks fleet specific so pilots cannot fly the aircraft in a 5010 Challenge fleet unless it's their own 5010 fleet.
5. If you do not allow your pilots to buy/sell in their own fleet, you as the VA admin will have to do that for them which can become tedious.

Strategy Tips
1. Your fleet has to pay the parking fee's on all aircraft so make sure you leave enough money to cover expenses.
2. Some planes will make money in 10 hours, others will not come close to making back what you paid for them, this is where strategy comes into play.
3. Watch the Trader List often for "steals and deals" when another VA is dumping unwanted aircraft that might fit in with your Challenge Plan.
4. "FSA Types" means you can fly a cargo version of the same airplane and get credit for 2 different types but you must buy the other plane, you cannot simply convert your passenger version. If you converted passenger planes to cargo, you would not have the required 50 aircraft in your fleet at the end of the 5010 Challenge.
5. Use your exisiting aircraft by looking at the current suggested sale price (click the $ icon), then back out of that page after writing down the amount. Transfer that amount from your 5010 fleet back to the main VA fleet and then using Fleets tab, "acquire aircraft", transfer the aircraft you just "bought" to your 5010 fleet.

Game Over
When the fleet has 50 aircraft flown a minimum of 10 hours each 8) OR the fleet has gone bankrupt (cannot pay current expenses - you lose, please play again :shock: ).

Fly Vegas is opening hiring again Jan 1, 2022 only to FSX/P3D pilots who would like to try the 5010 Challenge and share their experience with us. Our Main Fleet still flies the normal jet airline schedule as well. Feel free to try the 5010 Challenge in your own personal VA, you do NOT have to join us to join in on the fun! Join our pilot chat on Discord via our website link www.flyvegasvirtual.com if you have questions or issues with the 5010 Challenge or just want to talk flying in general.

Happy Flying everyone!

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: 5010 Challenge - A Strategy game (FSX/P3D based)

Post by joefremont » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:54 pm

Its an interesting challenge. Inspired by talking with Sam about it I am doing my own variation of it using one of the pilot profiles I have for testing. My differences
- I am using P3D and MSFS instead if FSX and P3D.
- All aircraft must be flown for 10 hour AND make profit.
- All aircraft must finish at a base, you may have two bases. (I have one in California and one in the UK so I don't have to do trans Atlantic flights in a short range aircraft.
- You are allowed to sell aircraft but if you do that aircraft is no longer counts toward one of the 50 (I have done so twice so far, once because I really did not like the model I had for that aircraft and second because after the first flight I calculated it would take me 80 hours of flying to make profit).
- You may only make three aircraft aircraft transfers total. Originally I though none but after finding a Grumman Goose in Alice springs Australia I started to fly it back to the UK, by the time I got to Jakarta Indonesia I had gotten the required hours and profit and could not see myself flying the remaining 6000+ nm to the UK.

Obviously if your running your on VA you set your own rules, if you fly with Sam's you fly using there's, but its a fun challenge and I encourage you to try it.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:27 pm

Yes, Joe has a very important post - these are not carved in stone rules - feel free to modify as your VA suits and tell us how your differences may vary.

:)

MikeC
Ticket Agent

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:15 am

This looks interesting but I hit a problem straight away - I do not have the option to change my VA setting to 'finance by fleet'.
Any ideas?

MikeC

MikeC
Ticket Agent

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:06 am

OK - just realised that is not a problem.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:37 am

I am going to reach a decision point soon on if I am going to continue playing the game with the rules I started out with, 10 hours and profit. I have now done a number of flights in the Beech Baron, 8 flights for 6.8 hours, but so far my flights are averaging 47,257 v$ in profit per hour, meaning to get to profitable I will need to do 22.7 hours or another 15.9. So I need to decide do I:

A) Keep flying till I get the profit
B) Sell it because I am done flying it or
C) Change my rule to allow me to finish aircraft without profit.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Our goals are:
1. Fly 50 different types a minimum of 10 hours each
2. Don't go broke

We will have two "lowest scores"
Total Flight hours at completion
Total cash left divided by total flight hours = compound score

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:23 pm

Since I am trying to not do transfers and end at a base, it makes stopping ato 10 hours more difficult, when aircraft show up in South Africa or Australia it usually takes more than 10 hours just to get them home. The first aircraft I tried was a Grumman Mallard that I acquired in South Africa, flying back to Europe took 34 hours.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:18 pm

ahhhh we allow 1 transfer per airplane BEFORE the pilot flies the first flight with it. This keeps pilots from finding packages and then transferring back to fly another load of packages when none are available on the return flight.

This also allows pilots to move planes to places they enjoy flying. And as a bonus, we let the mothership Fly Vegas pay the transfer as we move it prior to the pilot acquiring the airplane.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Yes. Since I am starting were the aircraft is and requiring the aircraft to finish at a base it makes it more difficult to get exactly 10 hours.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:09 am

OH getting 10.0 hours fifty times in a row is going to be nearly impossible unless someone allows pilots to fly "sightseeing same airport out and back trips". We do not. :shock:

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:10 am

UPDATE: We are going to go with a 2510 Challenge to allow pilot/players to reset the board more often. 25 different types 10 hours minimum each with a starting bank of 12.5 million.

Pilots can only buy 1 plane a day (7 per week) and will be limited to 12 logged flight hours per day (4x speed OK).

While some may think a shorter goal makes it a race, it does not. The rules remain the same with one change: Lowest Total Hours will be on top of the Leaderboard and ties will be decided by "Efficiency Factor": Total Hours divided by total flights. So if two pilots tie at say 300 hours in the 2510 challenge and pilot 1 has flown 600 flights and pilot 2 has flown 500 flights, the pilot with the fewest flights would be on top of the leaderboard.

Aircraft can lose $400,000 each and the pilot will still have 2.5 million remaining when all 25 have been flown a minimum of 10 hours. So pilots will have to use some strategy as the turboprops that can fly longer distances to get a better efficiency factor will lose a lot of money that will have to be made up with other piston aircraft that will be profitable.

A shorter game also allows pilots to play it over and over shooting for that low score more often.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:28 am

When I started my 50/10 challenge one of the things I thought about was the challenge of finding 50 aircraft I wanted to fly that were profitable, having to go out and find something I don't already have in my library that I may want to fly. I already have 30 aircraft acquired that I know I already have models for in my library.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:57 pm

And now we have cut it back even further to allow more to particpate. Those who don't have the huge inventory built up over years and years.

18 aircraft - 10 hours minimum each

You get 18 million to start so you don't have to fly just tiny single engine piston aircraft

For more information on our set up:

https://sites.google.com/view/flyvegasv ... authuser=0

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:00 pm

I made a little video explaining how we are going to do the Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRyksTuwXg