Cargo Vs Passenger

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

CRGaming
Ticket Agent

Cargo Vs Passenger

Post by CRGaming » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Hi,
I'm just curious why packages pay such a crazy amount more then passenger. Is it like this in real life? If I load up an a330 freighter I can make 3 or 4 times as much money as a fully loaded a380 passenger plane. That just doesn't seem correct. Is there a reason for this that I don't know about? Seems like I cant fly passenger planes much if I want to make the most most money in my airline.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Cargo Vs Passenger

Post by joefremont » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:29 pm

General cargo is always just between what ever airport your going from to what ever airport your going to. Packages are always to specific airports and are priced to make it worth while to carry them more than one hop. In general normal packages are priced similar to what you would get for business class seats and priority the similar to first class seats.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

CRGaming
Ticket Agent

Post by CRGaming » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:33 pm

Ok, the only problem is most of us just take a 747 and go direct with a plane full of packages. I’m fact I have never done multiple hops with packages.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:30 pm

its true that very few VA's have setup a hub and spoke system for moving packages around, which disappoints me, but its still more work to manage the packages and some risk in involved as you can loose money if you don't get them delivered on time, so I think extra revenue makes it worth while.

Gean
Ticket Agent

Post by Gean » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:36 pm

I think you'd see more hub and spoke systems and smaller cargo planes getting used if we had more priority packages at airports with short runways but with destinations at large, sometimes out of 1 hop range or vice versa; lots of priority cargo bound for small airports so you couldn't complete an intercontinental delivery with a 747 alone; you, or your fellow airline pilots, would then need to ferry the rest in smaller planes.

I could be wrong; maybe you've already got it set up this way and I'm simply not identifying the routes, but Ideally I think it would be fun to be rewarded for more of that hub&spoke style and especially to be rewarded for flying small cargo planes vs. the usual 747 from point A to B. I get that the point of flying anything is to have fun but I'd still like to see a bit more weighting towards the smaller planes' profitability and this would allow them to work in tandem.

I will do some digging and see if maybe it makes sense to use smaller freighters to consolidate freight in one location before doing a 747 longhaul but I have only seen 1 or 2 people doing a cargo transfer flight for $0

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:03 pm

Gean wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:36 pm
I think you'd see more hub and spoke systems and smaller cargo planes getting used if we had more priority packages at airports with short runways but with destinations at large, sometimes out of 1 hop range or vice versa; lots of priority cargo bound for small airports so you couldn't complete an intercontinental delivery with a 747 alone; you, or your fellow airline pilots, would then need to ferry the rest in smaller planes.

I could be wrong; maybe you've already got it set up this way and I'm simply not identifying the routes, but Ideally I think it would be fun to be rewarded for more of that hub&spoke style and especially to be rewarded for flying small cargo planes vs. the usual 747 from point A to B. I get that the point of flying anything is to have fun but I'd still like to see a bit more weighting towards the smaller planes' profitability and this would allow them to work in tandem.

I will do some digging and see if maybe it makes sense to use smaller freighters to consolidate freight in one location before doing a 747 longhaul but I have only seen 1 or 2 people doing a cargo transfer flight for $0
An interesting idea that had not occurred to be before, right now its a flat 10% of packages are priority except for 20,000 kg and 100,000 kg packages which are never priority. following your suggestion if we reduced the number of priority packages but between international and super airports and increased between smaller airports over a given distance that may achieve what you are suggesting.

Gean
Ticket Agent

Post by Gean » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:43 pm

I spent a couple of days consolidating packages from around Western Europe at one airport for a flight from London to Mexico. It was fun and I made a bunch of money. It was a little tedious to find the right packages - especially when trying to find priority under 2000kg; I wasnt able to filter for and find those smaller packages.

I think anything that encourages consolidation of packages in one area, preferably with a lot of priority packages coming from small airports, would encourage cooperative flying and the use of a wider variety of feeder planes. Companies do make a lot of money transporting goods to/from remote regions after all.

Gotta say tho, this is a fantastic system you've set up! Great job :)

ep-irl
Ticket Agent

Post by ep-irl » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:55 pm

its a good idea, however the "shelf life" of priority packages would need to increased to make any money doing this method. after a few days of trying to fly around the local airports getting 200kg priority packages , it wouldn't be worth it.

unless there was a way of "freezing" the packages in a warehouse to stop them from loosing too much time/money while you go around collecting them?

not sure if that is possible in fsairlines packages programming?

probably goes against the idea of them being priority i suppose?