Packages Search Function

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Packages Search Function

Post by flugkapitan » Wed May 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Greetings!

I see the Packages section has been changed as per Joe's post from a few days ago in a different section (Bugs & Problems: The Homepage/Client not being available).

I've looked over the new package search, and unless I'm missing something, is it no longer possible to see how many packages of size X are available to fly from airport A to airport B?

Regards,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Packages Search Function

Post by joefremont » Wed May 12, 2021 9:29 pm

the problem from a few days ago was caused by too many open ended searches on packages, the Database packages -> Packages screen was one of the places that kind of search can happen. I may bring it back where you have to select at least one of the airports but for how I replaced it with what I though most pilots would want, a listing of which airports have the most of each type of package. If you go to the page for the airport you are interested in there is a "Package Summary" page in the options that shows where packages are going from and too that airport.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Post by flugkapitan » Wed May 12, 2021 10:54 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I had gone to that summary page you mentioned, I looked at Hong Kong (VHHH) and Bangkok (VTBD) and noted the numbers of the arriving and departing packages. However, unfortunately, that info is not of much use to me :)

I hope the airport/package search feature can be brought back at some point in time. Package availability is a big factor for me most of the time in deciding which flight to pick.

Regards,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu May 13, 2021 5:40 am

Well maybe this would be a good opportunity to ask , what functionality do we need in a package search? What are the typical searches that pilots do?

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:49 pm

We like to know where the packages are going and the value

Robert Neumaier
Ticket Agent

Post by Robert Neumaier » Sat May 22, 2021 12:38 am

Hi,
i would like to SEE the available packages as it was in the past. Dont get along with the new packages settings. It is too hard to find great cargos. If someone likes to go on a Cargo trip, with making great money, it is sooooooooooo difficult to find a flight !
If a pilot is located at airport ABCD, and wanted to know which great Cargo is available at another airport, it is surely too hard to find.
With the old system, the pilot just clicked Packages, and got a list of all the available packages AND the money to get . With the new system, a pilot is not able to see the available packages from each airport. He has to click and click on Summaries, or airport packages or some more clicking.

PLEASE... give us back the good former packages system !

rwoodbc60
Ticket Agent

Post by rwoodbc60 » Sat May 22, 2021 2:01 am

Very well put, Robert, and I agree with you 100%.

Robert Neumaier
Ticket Agent

Post by Robert Neumaier » Sun May 23, 2021 1:19 am

Hi rwoodbc60,
thanks a lot for 100% support.
My airline got 12 Antonov124 and 1 Antonov225. located all around the world . I have done more than 1400 flights with them as it was so EASY to find great Cargo packages in the past. I found a huge package by just ONE single click on PACKAGES, flew the Antonov to that airport and got th cargo loaded. And done.

Now, i see, by clicking on Packages, just a list of airports with number of packages available. what income ? where to take them ? Too hard to find a good one ! Not a good service for the users.

PLEASE, ADMIN, try to return to the old system .

Best greetings
Robert

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun May 23, 2021 6:39 pm

The old page was very flexible but all those who did the " ONE single click on PACKAGES' to get there data were hammering the database so hard it was bringing it to a crawl and making the system unusable, but I think I found a solution so here is what I did.

The old search page is back with one important change to the way it works, unless you select a specific location or destination (with a distance from that airport of zero nm) the search page will restrict you to packages of 20,000 kg or greater.

The new 'summary' page is still around and you can get to it using the 'package summary' link on the db->packages page.

Sorry my productivity has dropped recently, big push at my workplace to get a new platform out, so not as much energy for programming outside of that.

Robert Neumaier
Ticket Agent

Post by Robert Neumaier » Tue May 25, 2021 10:47 pm

Hi Joe,
Another reason for me to stay with this airline ( and i love being a pilot here ) is, that it is very very vivid, very active, and you showed that just perfectly.
I thank you very very much, Joe( and i guess i am speaking for many other pilots ), that you helped me and others with just bringing back the so-called old packages system. I had been a member of many other virtual airlines within the last 20 years, but i never ever had experienced such a great and wonderful fast response to some wish ( or hope, or suggestion) of a member.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH , JOE !
I havent expected such a great and fast answer. But i am so friendly surprised and will go on flying with just a great feeling as being member.

I apprechiate all your outstanding work, Joe..and all the others form the staff!

Always happy landings
Best wishes
many thanks and best greetings

Robert

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Post by flugkapitan » Thu May 27, 2021 3:03 pm

Thanks Joe!

Regards,
Scott