First oil rig flight.

General discussions related to our Virtual Airlines

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Stan
Chief Pilot

First oil rig flight.

Post by Stan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:42 pm

After trying to fly Helicopters off and on for the past 18 years with very poor results i found this gauge on Avsim (rcbhhc.zip) and thought i would give it a try.
I could not believe it when i found that it worked like a dream and i was able to actually land on an oil rig.It makes handling Helos a lot more stable below 1000ft and when used with (easy_hap.zip) also from Avsim flying helicopters is a doddle.
One downside is that the 2 gauges only seem to work together on Dave Hardcastle,s S-61N which was lucky for me as it was the first one i tried.
What i do is disable the easy-hap gauge when i get below 1000ft and then the other gauge takes over.
The main difference between the gauges is that one uses the throttle for speed control and the other uses it for ascent and descent, and below 1000ft your speed is controlled by moving your joystick forward and backward.
Takes a while to get used to landing at low speed though,feels as if you are not moving sometimes.
I am going to base one at Grenoble so i can do a few flights to the heli-pad at Courchevel in the Alps.
Yours Stan

alemaobaiano
Captain

Re: First oil rig flight.

Post by alemaobaiano » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:52 am

Thanks for the tips Stan, I've never been able to get to grips with helicopters in FS :oops: I'll give these gauges a try and see if I can land.........anywhere :lol:

TTFN

Stan
Chief Pilot

Re: First oil rig flight.

Post by Stan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Let me know how you get on Tony.
For me it is as if i,ve found a new hobby.
Yours Stan