General discussions related to our Virtual Airlines

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

shearder
Ticket Agent

Offline flying

Post by shearder » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am

Hi all

A quick question:

I use a 3G/HSDPA connection for my internet and have an external modem which is not always connected to the machine i fly on. Is there a way when flying a flight that i can book the respective flights and then fly them "offline" and then later, when i connect the 3G modem, to be able to connect and upload the necessary flight data/report etc - or whatever?? OR, sometimes I am away from the internet for perhaps a week or 2 but get in a chance to fly from time to time. Is there a way that all this data can be stored and then uploaded in one foul swoop??

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by shearder on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lexarne
Captain

Re: Offline flying

Post by lexarne » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:16 pm

I dont think so but then again i dont the client off by heart (but what your describing is a PIREP upload system....)

shearder
Ticket Agent

Post by shearder » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:30 pm

lexarne wrote:I dont think so but then again i dont the client off by heart (but what your describing is a PIREP upload system....)
Yes, typically like a PiREP but obviously it would be an automated software based sumbission to maintain the integrity of the flight details to keep in line with the what the client currently does. So it would record all the errors etc etc and then relay - this way also stopping people from cheating.

AdmiralRolfe
Captain

Post by AdmiralRolfe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:19 pm

There's a way to upload a PIREP if your flight is interrupted by faulty internet, but I'm not sure if there's a way to do a 100% offline flight yet.

What the developers could do is make it so when you book a flight online, you have the option of downloading some sort of encrypted flight plan file that the client can read. Then when you're ready to fly, you would start the client and load the flightplan and fly. Once the flight's done, then the client does what it does now: outputs another encrypted file with your flight data as well as a ID for the flight for you to upload to the website.
ImageImage

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi,

I don't think this would be possible mainly due to the possibility of flying a booked flight after your flight had expired. For example, if you 'downloaded' info for the client to allow you to fly completely offline, you would still need to make a booking. If you flew after your booking had expired and someone else had flown the aircraft in the meantime then the whole thing falls apart as fuel figures etc would all be awry and aircraft would be in the 'wrong' place.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

AdmiralRolfe
Captain

Post by AdmiralRolfe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 am

Can't the website reject PIREPS filed too late? That way after the booking has expired, the pirep will no longer be valid or accepted, and no flight hours or revenue would be awarded.
ImageImage

shearder
Ticket Agent

Post by shearder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:09 am

Quantum wrote:of something like this. If you flew after your booking had expired and someone else had flown the aircraft in the meantime then the whole thing falls apart as fuel figures etc would all be awry and aircraft would be in the 'wrong' place.

Regards

John
Definately makes a LOT of sense. I guess it could be done but the amount of development that may be required would outweigh the feasability. I guess one would have to book the flight, select the plane and the system would then have to lock the plane so it could not be used, then if the flight has not been flown, say within 72 hours and the info uploaded, via the client, then the plane is unlocked and if the flight is flown and the info atempted to be uploaded the client would give an error - or not so much an error but would feedback the flight had been cancelled and can no longer be uploaded and therefore is invalid.

But yes, I agree with what you said Quantum it would cause havoc in the system if 500 people had to do this. Perhaps not worth the headaches!!

shearder
Ticket Agent

Post by shearder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:12 am

AdmiralRolfe wrote:Can't the website reject PIREPS filed too late? That way after the booking has expired, the pirep will no longer be valid or accepted, and no flight hours or revenue would be awarded.
Hey there Admiral - sorry, i kind of said the same thing in my last post - answer to Quantum :) sorry - read yours too late - but i agree. But I guess all said and done may not be worth the extra development required and havoc that may be caused.